Thursday 24 March 2022

I'm still here...

 It's been forever since I posted. Over two years. Sheesh.

I thought I would share a recent finish. This 16-patch quilt was made for a coworker who is battling beating breast cancer. She is an amazing woman and mom, and the most awesome coworker. I asked her what colours she liked and she said light pink and gray. I had to sneak a few fuchsias and bright pinks on the back. πŸ˜‰

I used the tutorial on Sew Fresh Quilts to make the St. Louis 16-patch blocks.


For the back, I used a tutorial from the Vancouver Modern Quilt Guild to make the envelopes, but instead of paper-piecing, I figured out the cutting sizes needed, and sewed the blocks. Some were not all the exact size, so I surrounded with a gray sashing and trimmed to size. I then added the white border on two sides to add interest by offsetting the blocks. I am very happy with how it turned out, and she loved it.  

Edited to add: The envelopes contain messages of encouragement from her coworkers. My favourite is the little rainbow drawn by the five year old daughter of a coworker. It is so cute!

I made this little wall hanging to remind myself that I need to take a Chill Pill once in while.  I googled the pill image and machine appliqued onto the background and finished with matchstick quilting. A fun little distraction.  


~Happy stitching!

Kat

Linking up to:

Finished or Not Friday at Alycia Quilts

My Quilt Infatuation

TGIFF @ Storied Quilts

11 comments:

Tracy Byttynen said...

Sew beautiful Kat. Your coworker friend must love her quilt. I know you worked so hard on it.
I too need a Chill Pill πŸ’Š 🀣

Pat T. said...

Beautiful quilt and love the idea of notes in envelopes. She will definitely feel the love sewn into the quilt and hugs from her coworkers.

Pat T. said...

Beautiful quilt! No doubt the recipient will feel the love sewn into the quilt as a warm hug when she uses it!

Paula said...

Welcome back! This quilt is very nice and will comfort your co-worker as she goes through treatment. Last year I made a quilt for my 35-years young co-worker, who is beating breast cancer while raising to young children. mazes me. This quilt is a great way to show support.

Andree G. Faubert said...

Hi Kat, what a lovely quilt. I love those muted colours. The idea of the envelopes in the back is wonderful. Thanks so much for sharing and all of the best to your coworker.

Kat said...

Thank you!

Kat said...

Thank you!

Kat said...

Thank you! She is a fighter.

Kat said...

Thank you. The colours are more muted than I am used to. I will probably make the envelope blocks again. It’s a nice way to frame messages.

Edith said...

This is amazing, loved the top, and then the back - Oh my!

Nancy @ Grace and Peace Quilting said...

What a great idea for the back of the quilt, with encouraging letters from coworkers!!!