Friday 8 April 2022

Catching up...it'll take a while


Since I didn't have a personal computer for the longest time, and blogger doesn't play nice with an iPad, it has kept me from sharing my projects. I have lots of catching up. I'll be sharing what I have made over the last several years, in no particular order. After all, this is my quilting diary, so I'm not too concerned about it.

I tackled this UFO wall hanging back in February. I pieced the top a number of years ago, I just didn't know how I should quilt it. Our guild has a Queen of the UFO challenge and this has been good motivation for me to tackle some of these stagnant projects. (There are a LOT!) So, I just have to tackle the pile, one bit at a time. 😄 

I think I'm getting to the point (age) that I realize if I don't get these UFOs finished, they may just end up at a thrift store for 50 cents or something like that, and that would just frost my cookies!  I have read posts where some ecstatic quilter shares the vintage hand appliqued quilt top they picked up for $10 at a garage sale or thrift store. Darn it, I don't want that to be my one of my UFOs. So, finished is better than perfect. 

Here we go...

The directions called for you to stitch down the curved 'claws' before you sandwiched the quilt. If I was to make the fold/curve triangles again, I would wait until I was quilting to sew the curved lines down. I had to sew a second line of quilting beside the folded edge to give the claws some definition. I quilted in the ditch and then double lines to fill in the centre blocks. 

I don't have an embroidery machine so I searched for a feather image (found at colorbookfornerdings), resized and printed the image, and then cut it out. I pinned the paper feather to the quilt and  used the triple straight stitch on my machine to slowly and carefully outline the image. Click on the images to see the quilting better. 

I also quilted a medicine wheel (drafted myself) and found and enlarged an image of an arrow head. I quilted around the bear face as well with purple thread. As you can see, all this effort doesn't really show up on the printed fabric but I know it's there, and if you're close to the wall hanging, you can see it better. 

I don't like marking quilting lines. In fact, I kind of loathe it, so if I can figure out how to quilt with no or minimal marking, I will. I used my walking foot to space and quilt lines around the borders. Fun.

In the sashing, I drew a chalk line down the centre, and then placed tape on either side. I used my ruler and a pen to mark little registration marks to quilt squares and a kite shape in the sashing. Minimal marking. Easy-peasy!
And here it is all finished!

Pattern: Bear's Paw Revisited by Black Crow Designs
Approximate size: 27" x 27"
Pieced prior to 2020, finished February, 2022

3 comments:

Tracy Byttynen said...

Love this wallhanging Kat, you indiginous quilting is beautiful. Well done!

piecefulwendy said...

Bear's Paw is one of my favorite blocks, so I enjoy seeing this finish! I'm with you on the quilt marking! Thanks for linking up to TGIFF!

Alycia~Quiltygirl said...

Oh what fun to revisit these Beautiful works!!
That is a cool one!!!