Monday 11 April 2022

UFOs Spotted in Nelson, BC!

I mentioned that our guild is having a UFO challenge. These two quilt tops were long time UFOs just waiting for their turn. 

This first quilt was made in a guild workshop in 2009 or 2010. I had so much fun making this top, I just didn't have the confidence to know how to quilt it. I finally decided it should be quilted by cheque, and so this is the first UFO I crossed off my list. I backed it with a tan mottled flannel that complements the front very nicely.  

The pattern is Heart Crazies by Janet Nesbitt of The Buggy Barn. You can visit her website here: https://www.onesisterdesigns.com/

Monica from Quilted Treasures quilted it with a swirly heart pantograph and I just think it is perfect!

Next up was another fun quilt to make. I don't know how long ago I put the top together, but probably 10 years. I needed a second quilt to accompany the heart quilt, and I thought our SIL would really like these colours. I used flannel fabrics given to me by a dear colleague from work quite a few years ago. She called these scraps, but there was enough fabric that I only had to buy the cream and green for the 4-patches and borders to put this quilt together. She is very generous 😊.

I love how this quilt turned out. Again, it sat there patiently waiting for its time to shine. I already had the backing fabric, this rich, cinnamon brown flannel called "Harvest Moon" by The Buggy Barn for Henry Glass & Co. (I actually realized when I found it that I probably bought it for the heart quilt, but oh well, I discovered it too late. And hey, it is perfect for this quilt. Ha ha!) 
I quilted diagonally through the bricks and 4-patches, no need for quilting lines, just eyeballed it. For the borders, I used a triangle ruler and Chaco marker to mark the squares. I marked one side at a time, as the chalk rubs off as I worked on the quilt.  
The corners of the squares ended up covered over a bit with the binding, but it still looks ok to me. I'm very happy with how the quilting turned out. I washed it afterwards, and it is so snuggly.  I am so pleased with it.
The quilting makes an interesting design on the back. 
This is a free pattern called Bricks and Stepping Stones, by Bonnie K. Hunter of Quiltville's Quips and Snips.

These two (UFOs) quilts were mailed off to my brother-in-law and sister-in-law in Nelson, BC. They called the other day to say they have received them. I can breathe a sigh of relief. I always worry about mailing anything handmade. I've had a few incidents where parcels have been delivered to the wrong address. Anyway, they love the quilts, and my SIL said she wanted to hang it on the wall! Such a nice compliment, but I made her promise she'd use it. I am so glad they like them. Made with love. Mission accomplished!

The sun was shining so nicely the other day, I had to take a pic of the few daffodils we have out front. It's supposed to snow a bit tomorrow night! Yikes!

Happy stitching!

~Kat

No comments: