Wednesday 8 March 2023

To-Do Tuesday #5 and Retreat

Life happens when you make other plans

I have so been looking forward to a 4-day retreat Monday to Thursday this week. I’d been planning what to sew, cutting fabrics, preparing kits, and anticipating with excitement the chance to meet 19 other quilt enthusiasts and future friends.  Unfortunately, life decided that I should come down with a cold. I was hoping I would be over it and all would be well, but alas, it is sticking around😥. Yup, life happens when you make other plans.

I stayed home yesterday, but not to be defeated, I played in my sewing room and began sewing one of the prepared fabric kits all day yesterday.  I’ve shared my progress on the retreat FB group. I was there in spirit! 


I was feeling better this morning, so I packed up and headed out for the day. Since I still have a bit of a cough (I wore a mask all day😷), I came home to sleep and I'll head back out again tomorrow morning. It's a bit of a trek (just over an hour's drive), but I don't mind. I had a wonderful day meeting some lovely ladies and seeing all the quilts and fun projects they are working on. It's my first time at this retreat centre, and it is so spacious and bright, and the food is really good. Yum! 


I had a busy week last week and got lots of prep work done for my retreat and made some progress on my To-Do Tuesday list. Yay!

  • Choose backing for Scrap Snapper quilt ✅ Pieced and ready to go.
  • Make binding and label for Scrap Snapper ✅ Binding is done. 
  • Cut solid fabrics for the 15 Zipper blocks to take to retreat - not quite. I changed my mind and cut 15 blocks in browns (from tan to dark brown) and 15 blocks in blues (light to dark) I’m excited to sew these up and see how they turn out. I’ll call it ✅.
  • Gather supplies for some Taggie blankets (a guild initiative) to take to sew at retreat. I had to go shopping for ribbon and I just couldn’t resist buying a bit of these adorable Minky fabrics  ✅ 
  • Find backing and cut batting for a guild member's two community quilts and deliver to her✅ 
  • Pack for retreat!! ✅ 
  • Set a timer for 30 minutes each day to sort, put away, put for donation or throw out "stuff" in my sewing room. Track my progress! I managed to do this 3 x this week, so that is 3x more than last week. 😂 Ha! I’m going to keep this as a weekly goal, but be more realistic (for me) and try for 3x week.
To-Do Tuesday #5 (March 7-13)
  • Sew blue and brown zipper blocks and assemble into a top - I started on these yesterday, and sewed the rest of the blocks at retreat today, except I was short one block.  
  • Sew one set of 30s repro bricks and stones into a top
  • Sew the rest of the pink/grey blocks (I have 43, I need a total of 80 blocks) 
  • Sew scrap snapper blocks (3 x orange), etc. 
  • Make at least 3 Taggie blankets
  • Sew quilt blocks for community quilt top (brown, red, blue, gold)
Linking up to: Quilt Schmilt To-Do Tuesday

5 comments:

Terry van der Est said...

Glad you are able to attend some of the retreat. What the heck is going on with you and catching colds !

Anonymous said...

Yes, glad you not totally missing out.
You are doing my regular work commute every day, lol.
You are getting lots done ✔️ ☺️

Cheree @ The Morning Latte said...

Sorry about that cold but I hope you enjoy the remainder of the retreat! I should do the 30-min idea with the rest of my house. I've neglected it so much for months because of my quilting. Well, maybe not 30 mins...how about just 15?!? LOL

Denise said...

Glad you are feeling better
Love the quilt
Quit getting colds! ❤️❣️

Carol Andrews said...

Kat you made great progress on your WIP’s in spite of having a cold. I’m glad you managed to attend some of the retreat. Hope this week is going well and your cold is gone. Thank you for linking with To Do Tuesday. I can’t wait to see this week’s progress on your pretty projects. Great job on the sorting/purging. 😉