Wednesday 1 March 2023

February One Monthly Goal Moves to March's One Monthly Goal and The 350 Blocks Project

My one monthly goal for February was to finish my Scrap Snap quilt. Well that just did not happen. I did manage to get it to the Flimsy stage. At least it has moved forward. You can read more about this quilt and find the link to the tutorial in this post

So, my One Monthly Goal for March is to finish the Scrap Snap Quilt. 

I've been procrastinating because it is such a chore to drag out the box and wrestle out the batting to cut for just one quilt. I just need to do it, and cut batting for a few other flimsies while I'm at it and it will seem like its worth the effort.

February 1st, I signed up to participate in Prairie Moon Quilts The 350 Blocks Project, which I found through another blog. Its a fun little challenge where you keep track of and report the number of blocks you make each month and then submit your total to the blog host. At the end of the year, if you meet the 350 yearly total, you'll be entered into a grand prize draw. Fun! And it is achievable, since all you need to do is keep track of the number of blocks you make. Easy-peasy!

Since I started in February, I checked with Shelly, the host, and she said I could include the January blocks I made in my February total. This may help explain (not excuse, 😉) my distraction from my one monthly goal. Counting up the blocks really shows you the progress you've made, even if I don't have any finished quilts to show yet. 

From January 1st to February 28th, I have sewn: 

  • 87 - 30's Repro Bricks and Stones blocks to add to the 215 blocks I made last fall (more than enough for two good sized quilts!)
  • 45 - Windmill blocks
  • 43 - Pink 16-patch blocks
  • 41 - Puss in the Corner blocks (assembled into a top, I just need to add some borders)
  • 8 - H blocks (Cathy @ Sane, Crazy, Crumby Quilting calls her finished quilt Animal Crackers. Cute! I get so much inspiration from her!
  • 2 - 4-patch blocks
  • 2 - 9-patch blocks
  • 1 - Bento Box block (6" finished) (Cutting instructions for the 6 inch block can be found here and alternate assembly method tutorial here)
  • 1 Celtic Twist block
  • 1 Zipper block (finished to the wrong size, its missing two teeth 😏)
A grand total of 231 blocks in two months!! Yay!  Shelly has announced March's goal is 30 blocks. Since I have lots of sewing dates in March, including a 4-day quilt retreat, I'm pretty sure I can meet that goal 😃.
I couldn't resist sharing a picture my husband took yesterday of one of our Fur Babies, Bella. She was overlooking the stairs, out the front windows at the snow falling. 💚
I am linking up to:

7 comments:

Marly said...

Good luck with your scrap snap quilt. You've reminded me; mine is still blocks in a bag somewhere, waiting to be assembled!

Dana said...

The 350 blocks project sounds like a lot of fun - and perfect for easily-distracted quilters like myself that like to flit from project to project! Looks like you are already making great progress. Enjoy your retreats!

Shelly said...

That's a lot of sewing! I love the Scrap Snap quilt. I understand your procrastination on the batting thing -- I tend to do that, too. Some things are just such a pain!

Susan said...

Welcome to 350 blocks! You have a nice starting total. =)

Cheree @ The Morning Latte said...

I buy batting by the roll and yes, it can be a pain, esp when the roll is new and so big, so I hear ya! A good idea to do several at a time. Welcome to the Block Project! I started it at the beginning of '22 and it has been a good motivator!

Karin - BluePip Designs said...

I'm excited to see your finished Snap Scrap quilt! I fell in love with it last month and am hoping to start my own soon!

Astrid said...

Love your Scrap Snap quilt! Backing and batting can be a pain. I did 3 some weeks ago, all waiting in the quilting line. You've been busy making all those blocks!