Thursday 16 February 2023

Tutorial - Another way to make a Bento Box Block

I have made a number of Bento Box quilts. I would have to say it is one of my favourite blocks to make. I’ve made my dad a queen size quilt back in 2009.  You can view a picture of the quilt top here: https://www.flickr.com/photos/madkap-pics/5462070805/

We used the same pattern for our guild's raffle quilt this year. See the finished top  here: https://madkapquilter.blogspot.com/2023/01/january-one-monthly-goal-quilt-top-is.html

EDITED: I totally forgot I made this baby quilt, too. https://madkapquilter.blogspot.com/2019/02/a-finished-quilt-alert-press.html

I’ve made a set of blocks for a baby quilt (Eek, in 2019, and it’s still a UFO! Hmm, I found the picture, now where are those blocks?)

For my dad’s quilt, and the blocks for the baby quilt, I followed the block tutorial at the SpruceCrafts.  There are other methods of sewing a bento such as using two (or more) framed squares and cutting these into four equal squares and swapping them, and re-assembling. 

While there is nothing wrong with making the blocks using these methods, I have gotten myself mixed up with sewing the fabric in the wrong position and have had to unpick more than once. 

It was while I was making the baby blocks, that I had an Aha moment, and discovered an quicker way to piece the block, that also helped me avoid making mistakes in the block assembly. 

Disclaimer: I don't own a design program. I created all the block diagrams using Excel.

To make one 12 inch 2-colour Bento Box block (12 1/2 inch unfinished), you will need:

(1) 2 1/2 inches x WOF (width of fabric) main fabric

(1) 2 1/2 inch x WOF (width of fabric) background fabric  

Note: The WOF must be minimum of 42 inches wide. 

Main fabric

(2 ) 2 1/2 inches by 6 1/2 inches rectangles

Background fabric

(2 ) 2 1/2 inches by 6 1/2 inches rectangles

A. Sew these pieces as shown. Make two. Press seams to the dark fabric. Set these aside for now. The unit should measure 2 1/2 inches by 12 1/2 inches.
B. Sew remaining strips of main and background fabrics lengthwise. Press seams to dark fabric. 
C. Square up one end of the strip set and sub-cut the strip set into the following units:

(2) 4 1/2 inches by 5 inches
(4) 4 1/2 inches by 4 1/2 inches

D. Take (2) 4 1/2 inch by 5 inch sections and sew together as shown. Press seam to dark fabric.
E. Sub-cut this unit into (2) 2 1/2 inches by 8 1/2 inches.
F. Flip the first unit around so the main fabric is in the top left hand corner and sew together as shown. The unit should measure 4 1/2 inches by 8 1/2 inches.
G. Take (2) 4 1/2 inch by 4 1/2 inch units and sew together as show. NOTE the main fabric must be in the top left hand corner. It matters! Sew the remaining 4 1/2 inch by 4 1/2 inch units exactly the same. The unit should measure 4 1/2 inches by 8 1/2 inches.
H. Join one unit from step G to the step F unit. Press seams away from the centre. 
I. Join the remaining unit from step G to the bottom of the step F unit. Press seams away from the centre. 
J. Following diagram below, join one unit from step A to the left side, with main fabric in the top left. Repeat for the right side of the block, following block diagram. Press seams away from the centre.
And there you have it! 
Things to remember:
  • Make sure you assemble/orient all of your blocks the same way. If joining blocks without sashing, the seams will be pressed the towards the dark, so they will nest nicely.
Thanks for stopping by!

Linking up to:

Confessions of a Fabric Addict Can I get a Whoop Whoop
My Quilt Infatuation Needle and Thread Thursday

5 comments:

Susan said...

That is an organized way of piecing this that makes sense to my brain. I finished one my best friend started. I was with her in a CA shop the day we discovered the pattern. It was new then. =) We bought all the fabrics and the pattern. She hadn't finished it when I visited her when she was dying and she asked me to finish it and keep it, so I did, after she was gone. I use it fairly often, and love her stitches and mine drawing us close together still. I hadn't thought of making my own, but maybe i will when some of my UFOs are not UFOs any more. =) Thanks for the inspiration to see your lovely results.

Vicki in MN said...

Nice tutorial Kat! I haven't done a Bento in a very long time.

Nancy @ Grace and Peace Quilting said...

I love the Bento Box block, too! Looks like a great assembly method!!!

Gwyned Trefethen said...

Excellent tutorial for the Bento Box block. Such a fun block, especially with your color scheme.

Alycia~Quiltygirl said...

Oh what a great way to do it!!
now - go find those baby bentos haha!!!!
Thank you for sharing!!!